Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 20

Today marks day 20 in the world of motherhood. Is it what I expected you might ask? The answer is no and yes. I have learned so much already and continue to every single day. My friend Jennifer gave me great advice when she said "Even though you have never been a Mom before and not sure about things Charlotte has never had a Mom before so relax and things will work out". I keep reminding myself of this, sometimes hourly.

I've learned:

1. Ask friends and family for advice. They will help you more than any book or blog.
2. You do not sleep when they sleep. Yes, in theory wouldn't that be nice. I would be getting around 20 hours of sleep a day. But the truth is you still have a life. You have to return emails, phone calls, shower, get dressed, pick up the house, take care of the dogs, and have time for yourself.
3. Feeling like a barnyard animal doesn't end at the hospital. With nursing every two hours and attempting to pump in between I relate more to the cows at braums. They are only there for one reason, milk.
4. People used to say before Charlotte's arrival sleep now because you wont be after she comes. I listened of course but you truly do not get it until she is home. I literally do not sleep. Not at all. Two nights ago I got two hours of uninterrupted sleep and I felt like I hibernated all winter. It felt wonderful. Then last night happens, in total I got around two hours of sleep. Mostly in 30 minute intervals.
5. I still get upset thinking about how awful labor was.
6. My life was not complete until February 12th at 2:20 a.m. Charlotte is truly the best thing that has ever happened to me. I cannot imagine a day without her.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Love Charlotte. Love you! You're a fantastic mommy even though you feel sleep and emotionally depleted at times. Keep it up super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty....the feelings you have are something you absolutely cannot describe to someone who hasn't been through it. What else could possibly get you through 24 hours with a few 30 minute naps? Love you, I'll babysit anytime!

    ReplyDelete