Sunday, August 21, 2011

You is Kind, You is Smart, You is Important








The Help by Kathryn Stockett is one of my favorite books. If you have not read it yet I highly encourage you to do so. It is certainly a page-turner that questions moral issues involved, and Stockett does an outstanding job of showing both sides of the racial divide.




Throughout this whole book it made me question myself? Would I be strong like Skeeter? Would I see the "help" for who they really were? Would I know that Minny and Abilieen were no different than me? I pray that I would be like Skeeter but I am pretty confident I would be. 

My favorite part of the book is when Aibileen repeats to Mae Mobley, "You is Kind, You is Smart, You is Important." (Shown here in the movie just released)


I love this for several reasons. Kids can never hear that enough and need to hear it several times a day. I also love that nowhere does it mention appearance. Seems silly but for a girl so many things are centered around being "cute" and it is good to acknowledge what is really important in life; kindness, intelligence, and their importance to the world. So thanks to Kathryn Stockett and Ms. Aibileen I repeat this to Charlotte numerous times a day and we even have a cute reminder in her room. 




4 comments:

  1. Since we watched this..... I repeat this mantra to Emma ALL day long!!! You are smart, you are kind and you and important!!!! I love our girls!!!! PS. They are pretty cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great book! such great lessons! such a great mantra for our punkins! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! I need to go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete