Saturday, October 15, 2011

Perspective

Josh and I really struggle with Charlotte in the evenings. She is very fussy and somewhat of a monster, a pretty monster, but a monster. I swear she would go to bed at 5pm if we would let her. This evening was no different. We were sitting outside trying everything we could to entertain her and nothing seemed to work. Of course, our patience was running thin. By the time the princess went to bed we were pooped and thought we had it bad.

Then I read this blog:
http://babyortyl.blogspot.com/2011/10/great-day.html
(Explanation of the pictures: After the walk we will be heading up to spend some quality time withOakes. We have an amazingly special afternoon planned. Oakes will be taking his first trip to the rooftop garden! The garden will be closed just for the four of us. We will head up with a few nurses, a respiratory therapist, and possibly the attending doctor. We will be met by a photographer who will document the entire visit. Oakes has not opened his eyes since the paralytic was turned off so I don't think he will see the autumnal colored leaves and pumpkins that are decorating the garden, but I know he will feel the cool air, and the sunshine. He will hear the bubbling water, birds chirping and of course the joyful voices of Isla, Greg and myself. This trip has been in the works for a couple of weeks now, and has taken quite some work to coordinate. Actually, such a trip has never happened for a patient in the CICU, so we are thrilled to be the first. We are thrilled to bring Oakes outside, thrilled to do something normal, and as a family. We are thrilled to get family photos, and document our awesome little crew.
You can imagine that coordinating outfits are laid out, special blankets and props are already in the car. By the time this email update is sent out tomorrow we will likely be on the roof, soaking up our afternoon with each other.)

I am not sure if I have mention this miracle little boy before but he is on my heart constantly. His name is Oakes, appropriately referred to as Mighty Oakes, and he is my dear friend Tina's nephew. I am not going to act like I know how to explain his medical issues but all I know is he needs ALL of our CONSTANT prayers and thoughts.

Anyways... my point of this whole post was that it is easy to get wrapped up in our daily struggles and forget to look at the big picture. If Mighty Oakes and the Ortyl's can have a great day visiting a rooftop garden at the hospital with 6 nurses, 1 doctor, tons of medical machines, only for one hour then surely I can make the best out of a fussy evening baby.  So thank you to Mighty Oakes and the amazing Ortyl family for showing me how little my problems are and to look at the big picture.

My promise to Mighty Oakes is that Charlotte and I will continue to pray for you daily and do our best not to take anything for granted. Keep fighting. And to my 3-5 friends who read this blog please pray for Oakes and his family. Oakes daily proves the power of prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Great perspective. Charlotte, be nice to Mommy and Daddy. I'll keep Oakes in my thoughts. What a cute name, by the way.

    ReplyDelete